1) First sign up for a CVS ExtraCare Card in the store to get one right away. When you get home, attach your email address. They SEND you awesome store coupons ($4 off $20 just for registering some times).
2) On your subsequent visits, scan your card at the RED LIGHT scanner upon entering the store . Sometimes you get FREE item coupons or good store coupons that match THAT week’s store flyer or upcoming week’s flyers (so save them). Go to HOTCOUPONWORLD CVS forums to see the upcoming ad scans (people actually leak the AD’s early).
3) CVS allows one Store coupon (email, mail, scanner) and one Manufacturer (newspaper, internet) per item.
4) If you have one of those CVS Store $5 off $25 coupons you can use it on top of all your other coupons, always hand this one to the cashier after your card gets scanned but before your other coupons.
5) Organize your transactions to pay the LEAST out of pocket.
For example if you can buy some Fusion Shaving Gel for $2.00 after coupons and then get back a $4 ExtraCareBuck (ECB). Use the $4ECB to buy another item that gives you back ECB’s. The key is to keep rolling your ExtraCareBucks and not use them up. CVS IS NOT LIKE WALGREEN’s: If the limit is 2 or more per card (read fine print at bottom of that week’s flyer) than you can use ECB’s from one shaving gel to pay for another shaving gel.
The Full Rules of the Extra Care rules are here.